Saturday, January 20, 2007

A PRAYER OF TODAY

My God, I love thee:

not because I hope for heaven thereby,

Nor because they who love thee

not must burn eternally.

Thou, O my Jesus, Thou didst me

upon the Cross embrace;

For me didst bear the nails and spear,

and manifold disgrace.

And grief and torments numberless,

and sweat of agony;

Yea, death itself; and all for me

who was thine enemy.

Then why, O Blessed Jesu Christ,

Should I not love thee well?

Not for the hope of winning heaven,

nor of escaping hell;

Not with the hope of gaining aught,

Not seeking a reward;

But as thyself hast loved me, O ever-loving Lord!

even so I love thee and will love,

And in thy praise will sing,

solely because thou art my God,

and my eternal King.


(St. Francis Xavier +1552)

No comments: